Careers at DC BLOX
At DC BLOX, we’re turning the traditional data center on its head and we’re looking for innovators to help us build the future. We’re a company that believes in our employees and treats customers well.
If you’d like to work in an environment that values innovation, dedication and teamwork, check out our job openings and submit your resume to email@example.com.
Current Job Openings
Reports To: Mark Masi – EVP, DATA CENTER DEVELOPMENT, DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION
More Information: https://www.dcblox.com/
DC BLOX Company Overview
The DC BLOX vision is simple. Serve Locally, Connect Globally – DC BLOX develops core infrastructure that helps cities bring technology-dependent companies and jobs to their regions and helps local businesses achieve their digital transformation goals. We accomplish that by developing relationships with state, county and city governments, industry groups, community organizations and chambers of commerce, and dedicating resources to help the local community.
DC BLOX is a multi-tenant data center partner providing foundational infrastructure and connectivity essential to power today’s digital economy. They focus on serving growing markets where the availability of secure, reliable multi-tenant data centers is limited. DC BLOX’s software defined network services enable access to a wealth of providers, partners, and platforms to businesses across the Southeast. Current DC BLOX data center locations are in Atlanta, GA, Chattanooga, TN, Huntsville, AL, Birmingham, AL, with our most recently completed in Greenville, SC.
DC BLOX understands that businesses are facing increasing challenges that will have a profound impact on their ability to compete and grow in their markets. Key business challenges include:
- Digital transformation is changing the way businesses operate and deliver services, requiring an ability to connect customers to infrastructure in their markets and across the globe.
- The paradigms of IT infrastructure are radically shifting. The cloud, SaaS, and virtualization require businesses to increase their agility to shift to the speed of business today.
- New physical and network infrastructure is needed, and businesses must work with state and local governments to build that infrastructure and to develop the workforce and culture to grow their tech economies.
- DC BLOX exists to provide foundational infrastructure for the digital economy, focused on serving growing markets where secure, reliable multi-tenant data centers is limited.
DC BLOX, Leading Data Center Operator, Secures $187 Million in Financing
Funding led by Post Road Group and Bain Capital Credit to accelerate DC BLOX’s enterprise and cloud data center deployments in new markets.
Map of Current and Future Locations
DC BLOX Data Centers
- Atlanta, GA – https://www.dcblox.com/wp-content/uploads/dcb_datacentersheet_atlanta_v3-0.pdf Located in the Brookhaven area, DC BLOX’s Atlanta data center delivers safe, convenient access for telecommunications, media, and technology companies. Just 1MS away from Digital Realty’s ATL1 IX at 56 Marietta, it’s a low overhead, colocation node on our high-speed optical network.
- 3,350 sq ft, expandable to 6,470 sq ft / 2x1M generators / Tier III redundancy / Carrier-neutral meshed 8.8Tbs private optical connectivity to ATL1 IX at 56 Marietta
- Birmingham, AL – https://www.dcblox.com/wp-content/uploads/DCB-datacentersheet-birmingham-alabama.pdf
The Birmingham data center is located in downtown Birmingham near UAB’s campus and the Innovation Depot, with easy access from Birmingham Shuttlesworth Airport and I-65. It is a 31,000 square foot colocation facility on 27 acres of land and is phase 1 of our plan to develop a Technology and Innovation Campus that will drive the connected digital economy in Birmingham and all of Alabama. We are about to commence build-out of our second data hall with 2.4MW of critical load, to include over 1MW of high-density compute infrastructure.
- 31K sq ft, expandable to over 200K sq ft. Currently with 1.5MW of critical load, expandable to 60MW, a Tier III design certified by the Uptime Institute (N+1 generator backup, UPS, and cooling) with private, optical high-speed connectivity across the SE and 100% SLA’s.
- Chattanooga, TN – https://www.dcblox.com/wp-content/uploads/dcb_datacentersheet_chattanooga-tn.pdf
DC BLOX’s CHA1 data center serves local businesses in the “Gig City” while connecting those in Atlanta, Huntsville, Knoxville, and Nashville to a Tier III design colocation facility directly linked to the Smart Grid – an intelligent, self-healing system that reroutes power around problem areas ensuring virtually zero power outages.
- Huntsville, AL – https://www.dcblox.com/wp-content/uploads/DCB-datacentersheet-huntsville-alabama.pdf
Huntsville is the fastest growing metro in Alabama with a strong industry base in government, manufacturing, healthcare, and professional services. Located near Redstone Arsenal, the Marshall Space Flight Center and Cummings Research Park, DC BLOX serves the needs of the Huntsville business community with a secure Tier III design colocation facility equipped with high-speed connectivity to Internet Exchanges, other DC BLOX data centers and public cloud providers.
- 9K sq ft, expandable to 36K sq ft. Currently equipped with 500kW of critical load, we have begun a project to add 500kW of critical load. Subsequent data halls can achieve 3+MW in critical load with the total facility expandable to over 13 MW.
- Greenville, SC – https://www.dcblox.com/data-centers/greenville/
The DC BLOX Greenville data center is located in the Global Business Park off of I-85 and less than 2 miles from the Clemson University International Center for Automotive Research. The center received its Certificate of Occupancy on November 9th and plans to offer service early in January of 2022. Prior to opening, we have commenced construction of a second 9K sf data hall for a large customer that will be completed late in the 2nd quarter of 2022.
- Can expand up to 54K sq ft of data hall space with 16.5MW critical load, a Tier III design, N+1 generator backup, UPS, and cooling and private optical high-speed connectivity across the SE and 100% SLA’s.
DC BLOX Leadership Team
The DC BLOX leadership team is comprised of entrepreneurs and technology innovators with a fervent desire to change the data center landscape in the southeastern United States. With over 180 years of combined experience in data center, networking, cloud, and managed services, we share a passion for building data centers with the services needed to meet the advanced IT needs of today’s growing businesses and beyond. https://www.dcblox.com/leadership/
In The News
November 2019 – Building with DC BLOX
November 2019 – DC BLOX Announces New Debt Capital from Deutsche Bank
October 2019 – DC BLOX Partners with MicroCorp
October 2019 – Data Center POST Q&A Interview with Jeff Uphues
DC BLOX brings its vision to Birmingham to serve locally and connect globally.
September 2019 – DC BLOX on the Southeast’s Rising Data Center Markets
Connect With DC BLOX
Vice President of Data Center Construction
DC BLOX is entering a new chapter of growth enabling mid-market and edge multi-tenant data center solutions. The Company builds new, Tier III-designed, state-of-the-art data centers fully connected by a high-speed, low-latency private network throughout emerging markets across the Southeast. DC BLOX continues to stand out as a unique pure-play data center operator focused on underserved growing cities to include scaling its robust infrastructure to offer local communities a next generation of digital commerce. The Vice President, Data Center Construction will leverage his/her expertise with the executive team to build and expand high-quality, multi-tenant data center facilities into a world class platform.
The VP, Data Center Construction will oversee and manage data center construction and be intimately aware of construction, commissioning, operations, and sustainability of all DC BLOX data center facilities to include:
- Lead the identification and management of key General Contractor relationships in building and augmenting our data center properties.
- Coordinate and plan supply chain activities, participating with VP Design & Engineering, management of major vendor relationships.
- Participate with design and engineering teams to ensure seamless delivery of new inventory.
- Participate with the executive team to continuously support new revenue growth requirements.
- Develop plans and strategies aligned with revenue goals and keeping inventory ahead of leasing requirements.
- Participate in facility diligence efforts in support of potential M&A opportunities.
- Develop and implement construction best practices; incorporate operating standards into security and operations practices.
- Identify process improvement and cost savings, evaluate, implement, and resolve as needed.
- Lead and be held accountable for the construction of data center facilities against plan.
- Manage and positively influence key customer relationships, vendors, and partners in the build, procurement, commissioning, and turnover to operations ecosystem.
- Oversight and accountability for preparing, presenting, negotiating, and delivering to appropriately risk managed contractual obligations.
- Interface and align with corporate and local operations personnel to ensure delivery of appropriately designed customer solutions and to guarantee the quality-of-service delivery.
- Provide input into the annual corporate budgeting and planning process.
- Continually seek industry and market information to provide DC BLOX with the information necessary for successful business development.
- Understands and practices performance management disciplines.
Knowledge & Competencies
The VP, Data Center Construction is expected to be both a data center subject matter expert and a business executive. Technical product knowledge in electrical and mechanical systems, building systems (BIM), DCIM, controls, contracts, and project management is expected. Executive characteristic and communication demands include:
- Explain via business case presentation the relevancy of information to executive and board level individuals.
- Plan, organize, and implement the delivery of major projects. Perceive and identify issues in advance of critical problems developing. Perform well under crisis management.
- Negotiate effectively and command the respect of general contractors and vendors.
- Understand and implement preventive and predictive maintenance procedures.
- Exceptional analytical and decision-making skills to evaluate complex problems, including analyzing, comparing, and selecting the best solution for each circumstance.
- Strong understanding of data center design and construction practice and how it impacts delivery and SLA agreements.
- Financial acumen including the ability to create and understand budgets, financial analysis, and invoicing.
- Prioritize work based on business and customer demands, articulate concepts and ideas to a nontechnical audience, and lead customer-requested business reviews and audits.
- Strong understanding of design characteristics, installation, and operation of all data center infrastructure systems including electrical, mechanical, life safety, controls, and security.
- Responsible attitude, ability to take initiative and ownership, and adapt in a fast-paced environment.
- Requires regular travel to data center construction projects, partners, and customer locations.
Key Qualifying Criteria
Data Center Construction – Evaluate the breadth and complexity of data center environments designed:
- Provide project examples of the different projects you’ve been involved with. What is your philosophy on where data center construction is headed? What’s the roadmap?
- Track record of delivering data center build and expansion projects on schedule and on budget.
- Demonstrated command of the design-build theatre of engineers, contractors, suppliers, labor, safety, security, audit, and public / municipal authorities.
Business Acumen – Growth oriented commercial disposition with innovative thought leadership and nuanced understanding of P&L, human capital leverage, resource allocation, and technology utilization.
Financial Acumen – Experience in a data center real estate invested environment with requirements for investor rates of return, asset acquisition, and platform standardization for value creation.
Executive Leadership – Demonstrated history of leading a team to consistently perform at or above plan. Share some examples of professional growth of talent from those who have worked on your teams.
Culture – Alignment of core values with DC BLOX’s vision, mission, and guiding principles which lead to excellence, fairness, and justice in the workplace. Compare and contrast cultures in which you’ve worked in the past.
Why Consider This Opportunity With DC BLOX
Impact – Put your fingerprint on a formidable growth chapter of an established yet emerging company poised for continued growth and scale. The VP, Data Center Construction will dramatically impact the revenue growth and set the stage for DC BLOX rate of growth trajectory into new markets.
Leadership – DC BLOX’s executive teams’ precedent success and credentials growing successful businesses together rival anyone’s in the industry. The confidence in the success this organization can provide to existing and prospective customers is a rare find.
Focus – DC BLOX’s success is a result of an intense commitment to empower digital commerce, connect, and collaborate all organizations in the Southeast. They are well-positioned to capitalize on this expansion and deliver state-of-the-art data centers and network to growing metro markets.
Financial Strength – DC BLOX has secured funding by Post Road Group & Bain Capital, to refinance existing credit facilities, add liquidity to the balance sheet, and fund additional capacity in existing and new data centers.
Culture – DC BLOX’s culture embodies the dynamics of a start-up, with opportunities for every single person to define their contribution to progress of the organization. This requires creative, confident, forward-thinking professionals who solve problems rather than wait for answers.
Compensation package for the VP, Data Center Construction is comprised of a competitive base salary, annual performance bonus, and long-term incentive compensation in the form of equity participation. A comprehensive benefits program to Include medical, dental, optical, and pharmaceutical, and 401K participation is also included.
Reports to: Jeff Wabik
Salary Range: TBD
FLSA Status: Exempt
A provider of Colocation, Connectivity, and Cloud Solutions, DC BLOX owns, operates, and maintains a growing set of next generation modular data centers in the Southeast United States. DC BLOX seeks an energetic, motivated individual with tenured network, system, operations and support experience to implement, maintain, and support its growing connectivity infrastructure.
Responsibilities & Attributes
Candidate must bring the following experience and desire:
- Enthusiasm and energy commensurate with an aggressive small company environment
- Experience in written and verbal engagements with internal, customer and vendor audiences
- Significant, practical experience in at least two, and familiarity with the remainder, in the design, deployment, operation, remediation, maintenance, repair and documentation of the following classes of network and associated equipment:
- Optical Transport / WDM, analog optics
- Including wavelength and service, provisioning and protection
- Including MEF 2.0/3.0 constructs and services
- Including signaling protocols, resilient path selection, etc.
- L3/IP Routing
- Multi-homed upstream/downstream Internet Transit peering (BGP, ASNs, etc.)
- Optical Transport / WDM, analog optics
- Significant experience in the design deployment and integration of network management infrastructure, including but not limited to:
- Network Element management/monitoring configuration (traps, logs, events)
- Network Management/Reporting Tools (alarms, graphs, logs)
- Network Log capture, event filtering and extraction, etc.
- Automation of network management/monitoring infrastructure
- Desire to quickly learn and become proficient in any outstanding or aforementioned area(s)
- Familiarization with Information Security compliance and certification
- Strong and detailed documentation skills
- Will be responsible for the following:
- Review, remediation and ongoing operation of network management across a L0/L1/L2/L3 network infrastructure
- Design, commissioning, provisioning and ongoing operation and maintenance ofL0/L1/L2/L3 network elements and services carried thereon
- Commissioning, Provisioning, Test and ongoing operation of discrete customer network services
- Engaging directly with Customers to address their comments, questions and concerns
- Creation and perpetual maintenance of documentation for all activities
- Monitoring of performance and operations of all network and systems infrastructure
- Provide technical remote hands in the datacenters and adjunct as needed
- Commissioning, provisioning and deployment of new network elements in pre-existing and new environments
- Willingness to travel as needed to any/all DC BLOX facilities, and adjunct locations, as needed, in support of these responsibilities
Qualifications / Preferences
- Formal education in computer science, software development, network operations, or related discipline with a suitable degree(s) granted (e.g. BS/BA/MS, etc.)
- Industry certifications (e.g. CCIE) a plus, but not required, nor solely sufficient
- Security certifications (e.g. CISSP) a plus, but not required, nor solely sufficient
- Comprehensive understanding of networking fundamentals, protocols, operation & maintenance:
- L0/1: Physical fiber plant, cabling infrastructure, xWDM, OTN, analog optics, etc.
- L2: MEF 2.0/3.0, 802.everything, MPLS/TE, etc.
- L3: All interior and exterior routing protocols, IP network design/deployment, AS operations, etc.
- Network services, and user applications (e.g. application performance considerations, etc.)
- Demonstrate comfort with physical hardware and custom solutions:
- Assembly/disassembly of various hardware, systems, components, etc, to modify, repair, customize or otherwise enable service
- Installation/mounting of new systems; decommissioning of obsolete systems
- Business//professional level written and oral communications skills
- Ability to convey technical requirements and concepts to technical and non-technical clients, vendors, and corporate audience
PLEASE NO AGENCY CALLS
Reports to: Jeff Wabik
Salary Range: TBD
FLSA Status: Exempt
A provider of Colocation, Connectivity, and Cloud Solutions, DC BLOX owns, operates, and maintains a growing set of next generation modular data centers in the Southeast United States. DC BLOX seeks an energetic, motivated individual with suitable technology, sales, and solutions architecture experience to scale its growing ecosystem.
Relying upon past experience, critical thinking and vivid imagination, via listening, learning, designing and specification of a solution, the DC BLOX Solutions Architecture team provides a pre- and post-sales role that specifies applicable, scalable, practical, and reliable data center solutions which enable the digital acceleration of its varied customer base. The central goal of this role is to establish trust via quality, and offers technical and sales leadership to every opportunity.
Candidate must posses the following experiences and desires:
- Enthusiasm and energy commensurate with an aggressive small company environment
- Significant experience collaborating and working closely with sales and operations teams
- Leadership of thought in written and verbal engagements with internal, customer and vendor audiences
- Significant, deep understanding of and experience in most or all of the following areas:
- Custom, comprehensive solution development including vision, design, specification, costing/pricing, and competitive and margin analysis
- Technology systems including but not limited to
- High performance networks and connectivity (including switching, transit, transport, etc.)
- Operational understanding of end-user primary and infrastructural applications
- Public, private and hybrid cloud solutions
- Object, file and block storage at scale
- IT hardware and software, including physical characteristics, power consumption, cooling and resilience
- Datacenter power lineup and delivery systems, including a functional knowledge of electrical systems
- Creation and review of contract language
- Strong appetite to quickly become proficient in any (above) areas where there is an experience gap
- Maintain and grow vendor relationships
- Develop and maintain process for all aspects of Customer and internal engagements
- Develop detailed technical solutions and specifications
- Pedantic focus on unambiguous, complete detail in specifications and terms, especially in contract language creation and RFI/RFP response
- Ability to travel as needed to any/all DC BLOX facilities, Customer locations, conferences, trade shows, etc, in support of these responsibilities
- Strong presentation skills
- Mastery of all professional tools and formats (.doc, .xls, .kmz, .ppt, .pdf, .vsd, etc.)
The day-to-day responsibility of this role focuses on investigating and understanding the potentially obfuscated or unclear digital/IT goals of potential customers so as to develop and present custom datacenter solutions to service them. The candidate must be easily and readily able to communicate with executives, technologists, sales executives, consultants, partners and any applicable other parties to build relationships and trust, then ultimately offer, deliver and ensure correct fulfillment of an appropriate solution.
This role relies upon a strong understanding of customer psychological behavior, deep knowledge of the innerworkings and inter-dependencies of the discrete technologies that are part of the solutions building blocks, deep understanding of legacy and contemporary broader IT/system operations and goals, and adaptive communications skills to present each of these aspects to the appropriate audience. Imagination, creativity and pedantic analysis are equivalently critical in the processes of this role.
This role may be or evolve to be a leadership role with direct reports who serve the same function, wherein day-to-day responsibilities would then be increased to ensure the reports have suitable workload and are performing well.
Qualifications / Preferences
- Formal education in computer science, software development, IT/network operations, or related discipline with a suitable degree(s) granted (e.g. BS/BA/MS, etc)
- Industry certifications or training a plus, but not required, nor solely sufficient
- At least 10 years of experience in described areas, collaborating and succeeding with sales, engineering and operations teams
- Imagination, communication, critical thinking and strong presentations skills are more important than a lengthy list of technology acronyms
- In lieu of any met requirement of this document, be prepared to explain and defend why you are a “unicorn”
NO AGENCY CALLS
NOTE TO ALL AGENCIES: Any unsolicited agency resumes or agency represented candidates that are presented to any DC BLOX employee without first having a signed contract between that agency and the DC BLOX organization will become the property of DC BLOX and no fees will be paid.
For immediate consideration, please forward all resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org or call (877) 590-1684.
DC BLOX serves a myriad of clients across nearly all industries, from start-ups to publicly-traded corporations.
DC BLOX Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.